Friday, July 27, 2012

Life update

We are doing the stairwell upstairs this weekend. I'm stoked. It's getting done which is so nice! I did some labels and built a website for my company so I get a bit of a bonus - this is giving us some play room with the renos. We are taking out the solid wall paneled banister and replacing it with spindles and some sort of square block thing on the corners that Craftymama knows the name of but I do not. She is the architectural housing buff around these parts. Its going to open up the space SO SO much.

The girls have been spending some time away from home at Grandpa S's. I miss them terribly, but I know they are having a good time and building a relationship that will hopefully be strong and last well into their adulthood. After having lost my grandmother, I see how important grandparents can be - if only for us as parents. I, for one, want my kids to know their grandparents well. And I've learned that through my grandma's passing. I can see in my mother's eyes her love for her mom, and how much she wanted to share that with her daughters. How it was important to her that we, her children, knew her roots - her livelihood. It may not seem important to me now, but I know it will as I get older and as my mother gets older. Time really is short.

Speaking of spending time away, I wish often that the boys had the opportunity to spend time with their grandparents - for the same reasons above. Their grandparents are amazing people, and I love them. They have been supportive, and welcoming, and have embraced me and the girls into their family. I never feel like an outcast, which is simply wonderful. We are lucky to have them in our lives. I guess I wish for all the kids to spend time with Craftymama's parents, and with my mom. Grandpa S is Glassman's dad, and given our separation I don't know about his relationship with the boys. I know he never forgets about them, or Craftymama, on birthdays or at Christmas - which is more than he needs to be doing. I just wish the boys has the opportunity to spend the night away, to know what that is like to be spoiled and given 100% attention by the grandparents. It's a special thing. Hopefully that happens soon.

One of the reasons it isn't happening is that R still wears a diaper at night. He can, occasionally, go without one, but for the most part he pees every night. At just a touch over 6 I am unsure if this is normal or not. I know boys do things slower, but I want to help him in some way. I know he is embarrassed and for that reason is nervous about being away, but maybe that would give him the push that he needs to really make it an effort instead of relying on the pull ups.

What else?

- M had his hearing tested, he's fine, but they made some comments on his speech so he is going to be seeing a speech therapist.
- LittleR is going to have an OT appointment soon.
- K continues to be a diva princess.
- And I continue to fall more in love with Craftymama every day.

1 comment:

  1. Hey cousin! Great seeing you at "the tea." I love all the updates; keep writing!

    ReplyDelete