Monday, December 12, 2011

Go Team...?

So..we bought an old house. Craftymama fell in love with the oldness of it and getting to reno it, I fell in love with it being so different than most houses and Glassman is just along for the ride. Problem with an old house is that they need, usually, a lot of work and an owner who has both time and money to deal with it.

Time AND money..I don't feel I have one of those things, let alone both of those things.

But Craftymama and Glassman they like to tear shit down, and just get 'er done. To my surprise, I am quite hesitant to do that kind of stuff - especially right after the move, right before Christmas. I think my hesitation is annoying to them.

They want to rip up floors replace toilets, take out dishwashers and closet doors, paint all the things, and Glassman wants to put a new heater core in his car at the same time so I stop bitching about the heat in the mornings on the way to work.

Me, I like slow and steady. I like being prepared. Who knows what we're going to discover when we rip things apart. For example:

1) We took up the lino on the stairs the day after we moved in. Nothing major revealed. Just nice wood floors that need paint. Thats a slight risk. Craftymama and I did this by ourselves. Glassman did come in and nail down all the left over nails.

2) We put a door back on the on back porch. no risk. Craftymama and I did this one. No men required!

3) Craftymama is painting all the things. Moderate risk, but only insomuch as the kids can be occupied. There really isn't extra cost to this which is nice.

4) Removal of island. slight risk. We didn't know how we would function without that counter space or what was under that floor.

5) Change toilets to get in on the duncan toilet rebate program. moderate-high risk. We have now gotten ourselves into a corner with this one. We need a 10" rough in but none of the toilets out there that are 10" meet the duncan requirements. So we need to take out a little 1" wall that extends out right behind the toilet. Then we can get a 12" rough in toilet. I broke the laminate, and there is water damage behind there. In theory drywall isn't hard...but still..it's much more of a task then simply changing out a toilet. Craftymama and Glassman are vibrating with excitement over getting to demolish a wall. I'll be sure to take pictures.

6) Removal of dishwasher. moderate risk. I am also positive there is water damage under the floor - and I don't wanna deal with that shit yet. But the kids keep touching buttons and it is quite the eye sore.

Reno's are stressful yo!

No comments:

Post a Comment