Thursday, January 2, 2014

Welcome J and Welcome 2014

So 2013 is over. I haven't updated in a long time for a myriad of reasons, none of which I really want to discuss here.

J was born November 10th at 12:50a. He was 10lbs 10oz and 23" long - a big guy! Nothing went as planned from the water birth to the timing of day - but he is here! He is pretty cute - although already bigger than the girls were at 6months old! He has a night schedule already, including waking up nearly every night/morning at 4:30a because he has gas. Craftymama passes him to me and I scrunch up his legs, roll his hips, pat his back to relieve the pressure and then after however long that takes I pass him back to be nursed back to sleep for hopefully a little while longer before the rest of the kids wake up.

Just newly born

J drunk on sleep


This non gestational parent journey of mine is far from over, in fact, contrary to what I thought, it is only just beginning. I have much respect and adoration for all dads and adoptive parents out there. While my perspective is, of course, different than the aforementioned people, we do share some commonalities. It's a hard road, there is much learning to be done, but I am willing and open.

The kids have adjust remarkably well to his arrival. They all want to hold him and be near him, and so far, at 7.5 weeks, have done well with having to wait a little bit longer for things if he is fussing/nursing or whatever.

Christmas was different this year. Finances were tighter for everyone. Glassman and Cableman are both without work right now for very different reasons, and we have been dealing with an angry neighbor who caused us to have to spend significant funds on a tree in our yard, a small flooding of our bathrooms, my one job refusing to give me an ROE so I can't get EI, and a bunch of different things. The kids had a great time and were spoiled - as usual. It was nice to see the family I did get a chance to see, and I miss the ones I didn't.

New Years was quiet - I was sick, and we have a new baby so neither of us really made it until midnight. Though R was asking why we don't have any traditions for the welcoming of the new year, so we may start something next year.

I'm not in school any more :( I was having a hard time with my depression, but was pushing through that and finally making some head way with the help of my professor when I found out my work didn't pay my tuition which means I was withdrawn from the course. So that sucks.

I was also demoted at work after my parental leave. I was told I was pretty much failing at all aspects of my job - so they brought someone over to fill the administrative role and I will go back to focusing on marketing and what not.

I have my knee surgery on January 14th, it'll be my third one. I also got two teeth pulled on December 24th, between those two things and the two successions I got of the flu a mere two weeks a part - I've been hurting lately.

The stress keeps piling on. There are big changes for our family again this year, but I am not at liberty to discuss them yet. Every year is a year of big changes it seems. It seems at 28 (turning 29 this year) I have to accept that I am an adult now, damn aging!, and make adult decisions. These decisions are hard and will affect my family for the rest of our lives. I wish I could see the future sometimes.




No comments:

Post a Comment