Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pink Eye

Pink Eye ...our kids had it, and K was sent home from school because they suspected she *might* have it.

Really what's the big deal? The biggest deal seems to be that it's contagious, but why keep kids home from school and have a giant freak out about it. Chicken Pox is even becoming more popular - that is exposing your children, usually around age 5 or 6, to chicken pox so as to build up a natural immunity. There are also flu parties to pass on the current strain of flu to build up a natural immunity.

So what's the big deal about pink eye. All it really is is a pink eye, and eye drippings that crust over during the night. Wipe the crusties away and kids are good to go for the day.

I try to respect other parents' right to parent, and in this I respect them as well. Some parents don't want their kids exposed to pink eye, but it's contagious before any symptoms appear, its contagious even after symptoms disappear. It seems to be one of those things that if a kid is going to get it, they are going to get it. This is a perfect opportunity to teach kids about proper hand washing and bathroom etiquette, rather than simply keeping them home for 3-4 days.

When there is lice going around the school - yes kids with lice stay home, as those are actual bugs and not simply an infection, but often times parents whose kids are kept home as well for the *just in case* factor. They don't want to risk a child getting lice - more power to them, I might do the same (actually I didn't, lice went around our school, my kids went, and didn't get it!), but shouldn't, then, those same parents who are worried about pink eye consider keeping their kids home from school. I am not implying that they should be required to do so, but why isn't it a consideration. Why is it just my kids who are sent home?

K, for example, likes the attention a sickness can bring. R and M had pink eye for sure - but K was questionable - so we sent her to school. She told her teachers about her brothers, and said it felt like there was "sand in her eye" (the normal sleep crusties maybe?), and so was sent home on suspicion of pink eye.

I don't know. I don't get it. Neither does craftymama, and neither do numerous of our friends. I wouldn't wish a sickness or infection on anyone, but I am not about to get paranoid or worried over a common childhood infection.

5 comments:

  1. Your blog has given me the joy of hearing about you and the kids, so thank you for sharing the link.

    I have to respond to this: I am one of the parents who thinks pink eye, lice (which in public school they can't send you home for), colds, impetigo, cold sores, anything that spreads and child hygiene is not high, should not be at school. I am sure you aren't surprised by my view, but loathe the head lice pink eye notices, I generally tell the kids to avoid anyone that scratches, has weepy pink eyes or has open mouth sores, I do it for there sake as my issues override the fact that none of what I mentioned have even the slightest potential to cause extreme illness or death, but as a courtesy, when my kids are unwell, they stay home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for miss K... An opportunity for one on one? Or a helping hand in day to day life!

      From the sister who finds snotty noses, spitting sounds and most washrooms not possible for usage ( I hold it for a whole day if I can) good luck! And give the kids a virtual hug....lol

      Delete
    2. I agree in theory, that when kids are unwell, keep them home. And no, I am not surprised at your views :) Nor am I offended by them. In our school, they do send you home if you have lice, I did not know that in public school. My biggest beef was with K, who didn't have it - but merely wanted the attention. I agree, kids should try not to have contact with other kids who are sick - but most of those viruses - cold sores, impetigo etc are contagious before symptoms arise, (cold sores for example arent contagious once a sore appears usually), so why worry about them when if your child is going to get them, they will have gotten them before the other child appeared sick. IDK..just my thoughts. Thanks for your comment - I wondered if you were reading.

      When do you get back?

      Delete
  2. I travel home today (13hrs) of flights and layovers, pretty much encompassed North America. Ie vancouver-LA-Atlanta-Florida-Atlanta-Toronto-vancouver.... Then tacoma for sat/sun... Then home.... Sigh... I miss my own bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats such a long trip! Where are you staying in tacoma, is the family going to be there?

      Delete